Here is my story – So, back in November I was walking my dog in the dark when I car came from behind me. I flashed my light back so they could us, moved left to the side of the road in the dark, and then proceeded to badly rolled my left ankle off the pavement, falling and banging my right knee into the road. OUCH!
The dog walking stopped, the exercising to music with weights stopped (I also had previously injured a rib, so I couldn’t tolerate any exercise).
Now here I am January starting all over again.
I have exercised regularly since my kids were babies (29 years or so). Honestly, it’s a bit hard to start over! But my upcoming trip to Florida is motivating me because I like to walk/jog on the beach and I don’t want to die while wogging (as I call it)!
I read once that you will lose weight 9x faster if you add exercise to your healthy eating choices. Well, I’m not sure it’s that high, but I do find that it helps alot. Plus, it really helps you feel motivated to eat better when you know you are expending all that effort in exercise.
Exercise causes you to burn calories - BUT EVEN BETTER – it adds muscle mass, which burns more calories even while you are sleeping!!! Exercise boosts your metabolism, which is key to weight loss.
- Exercise with a friend – it helps so much to have someone to meet up with, who is expecting you to arrive.
- Choose something that makes you feel powerful, that you enjoy and don’t dread. Zumba is a favorite, fast walks in the open air, DVD’s in front of the TV where you don’t feel embarrassed about your appearance, etc. Or even going to a gym! Both aerobic cardio and muscle building are important. Interval training is becoming the most popular and effective.
- Start small and gradually add time and intensity as the weeks go by – you want to feel SUCCESSFUL! – Not discouraged. So aim for 3 times a week to begin. Gradually add more in the weeks to come.
- IMPORTANT – make this exercise a scheduled part of your life. Put it in your calendar. Keep the appointment. Make it as routine as possible. Do it even if you don’t feel like (it’s hard to restart!).
- You will find it easier with time!!! Your body adapts well! Since starting is the harder part, do all you can to be consistent.
- Realize that exercise cannot make up for bad eating or excessively eating large amounts. Cut back and eat natural food to aid the exercise program.
I hope these ideas help! Now go do it!! You will feel better and lose weight faster! Share with me in the comments below if you are starting an exercise program. As always, check with your doctor to be sure it is safe for you.